English Attack! Chosen For French Education Ministry's English Learning Portal
"English By Yourself" launches today; English Attack content to feature daily
07 FEBRUARY 2012, PARIS, FRANCE
SummaryEnglish Attack! (www.english-attack.com) has been chosen as an official education partner of English By Yourself, the national online portal for English language learning developed by the French Education Ministry and launched today at a press event in Paris by French Education Minister Luc Chatel. Every day, the portal will feature fresh English Attack! content, ranging from interactive video-based lessons (Video Boosters) to visual dictionaries (Photo Vocabs) and learning games.
The portal has been created and will be operated by the Centre National d'Enseignement a Distance (Cned), the French Education Ministry's distance-learning unit. Like English Attack!, the Cned is active in the promotion of informal, lifelong education and autonomous learning for a wide audience.
Every day, English By Yourself will feature feature freshly updated content from English Attack!, specifically:
- The Video Booster of the Day - an interactive language exercise based on a clip from a current movie, TV series episode, or music video and designed to develop listening, comprehension, reading, vocabulary and grammar skills. A new Video Booster will be promoted on the home page of the Ministry's portal every 24 hours.
- The Verb Dash learning game, developed to help learners to master the various forms of irregular verbs in English. The game will be a permanent feature of the English By Yourself portal
- The Photo Vocab of the Day - a themed visual dictionary on a wide range of topics. Each Photo Vocab contains 15 to 20 lexical items related to the theme, including vocabulary, idiomatic expressions, and cultural references like commonly used acronyms.
- Proficiency is driven by regular exposure to current, authentic English. This frequency of exposure is arrived at by motivating learners to use the service often, via enjoyable content units based on topics of widespread general interest - for example a movie currently playing in local cinemas, or a visual dictionary providing vocabulary on a major event in the news.
- Learning effectiveness is enhanced by lessons that are always situated in a specific meaningful context, are of short duration, and illustrated via a video clip or a selection of photos.
- Storage of newly aquired language in long-term memory can only be acheived by sufficient repetition of the learned content at appropriate intervals. English Attack! encourages varied repetition of learned items via its range of five learning games, which are dynamically driven by the site's video-based and photo-based content.
- Errors are not to be penalized, but rather - as in videogames - they must be seen as a natural consequence of attempting a task, getting something wrong, and trying again integrating the learning arrived at via the error. This principle is reinforced by a supportive reward ecosystem consisting of constant positive feedback, points scored for every activity, and badges awarded for completing specific learning tasks.
- The practice of communicative skills is best encouraged by meaningful interaction with others. In the case of English Attack! this is achieved by learner participation in (and communication within) the site's international social network of learners of English.
The Centre National d'Enseignement a Distance (Cned) is a national public sector organization appointed by the French Ministries of Education and Higher Learning, and is tasked with the promotion and enabling of distance learning, in particular via information and communication techologies.
For more information:
- Press Contact: email@example.com
- Journalists: request your Free Premium Pass here
Paul MaglioneGeneral press enquiries:
Schools and Companies Contact:
Nos communiqués en français :
Nuestros comunicados de prensa en español:
Els nostres comunicats de premsa en català:
Nossos comunicados de imprensa em português:
I nostri comunicati stampa in italiano:
Unsere Pressemitteilungen in deutscher Sprache:
Prasowych w języku polskim:
Comunicatele noastre de presă în limba română:
About English Attack!
English Attack! (www.english-attack.com) creates true innovation in the $35 billion market for English language learning via a 100% entertainment-driven approach to helping learners increase and enhance their exposure to, and use of, the language. It achieves this via interactive lessons based on clips from blockbuster movies, hit TV series, and television news reports; chart-topping music videos; professionally produced casual games; visual dictionaries; and a global social network of learners of English.
Entertainment Learning was founded by experienced digital entertainment executives Paul Maglione and Frederic Tibout, who launched English Attack! commercially in 2012 after the service had won or been a finalist in several French and European startup competitions including Plugg Brussels, The Next Web Amsterdam, and Seedcamp Paris.
- See more at: https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/entertainment-learning#sthash.KL8Sgz3E.dpuf